Learn about the Village’s journey with GIS
County – Milwaukee
Population – Approximately 6,750
Area – 2.90 sq. miles
In 2008, the Village began building their GIS system. After 4 years of development, Fox Point changed course and migrated to Ruekert & Mielke, Inc.’s (R/M) Cloud GIS Portal. The Village recognized the changes in technology and sought to transition their existing GIS database to a web-based platform that would allow staff the ability to make changes to the attributes either at their desk or in the field.
Moving forward, the Village sees that “GIS will serve as a central hub of past, present and future information and documents.” In accordance with other benefits, Staff cites that their improved “GIS services has saved the Village money and has allowed them to do more with their budgeted dollars.”
Fox Point continues to discover improved efficiency and savings through automation. To use their GIS to the fullest, they utilized summer interns to update major portions of their storm sewer infrastructure information via mobile applications created by R/M. Fox Point has gained further insight into their infrastructure and is able to save time and money by directly editing utility information while in the field.
To experience a public GIS viewer similar to Fox Point click here.
The PASER scale is a 1-10 rating system for road conditions. PASER uses visual inspection to evaluate pavement surface conditions. When assessed correctly it can provide a basis for comparing the quality of road segments. The results of the assessments are then compiled into a state wide system known as WISLR (Wisconsin Information System for Local Roads). By utilizing WISLR data that can either be hosted at a county level on Arc Server or here at Ruekert – Mielke we can add it into a GIS system and then display the ratings as an overlay to the Right of Way layer. This could also be connected to a tool used to edit the ratings of each road. That way it can make for a truly dynamic map layer that changes as edits are made. Also since the WISLR data could be housed here in an SDE database the data can be edited at any time thus updating the map layer instantly. There are many different possibilities to manipulate this data once it is on a GIS site. Feel free to get in touch with us if you have an interest in adding WISLR data to your GIS site.
The ratings for the PASER are as follows:
The latest release of the Geocortex Viewer for HTML5 features functional enhancements and usability improvements to support mobile use cases and workflows. This release includes:
- Full support for viewing non-spatial data configured with data links
- Programmatic commands that support feature highlighting and markup
- Dozens of user experience enhancements
- New, more efficient offline and synchronization processes:
- Easily provision an application for offline use
- Launch the viewer when offline or online
- A suite of feature editing tools that work online or offline
- Complete back-office synchronization of data
Earlier this month Latitude Geographics announced the general availability of Geocortex Essentials 3.15. These releases include significant amount of development, resulting in many new features and fixes. Below is a short list of the key additions included this release.
Geocortex Essentials 3.15
- Compatible with ArcGIS Server 10.2.
- Comprehensive Support for Coded Value Domains. A new feature called the Services Enhancement Proxy can be used to improve and standardize the handling of feature data with coded value domain fields, among other things.
- Standardized Presentation of date/time Data. The Services Enhancement Proxy is also used to standardize the presentation of date/time data.
- Access ArcGIS Online secure content. Public ArcGIS Online content has been supported since Essentials 3.12. With this release, administrators can now create sites and applications that contain secured content from ArcGIS Online.
- Feature Clustering. Flare Cluster Symbols on Feature Layers with colour and threshold control.
- Heat Maps. Heat Map symbolization on Feature Layers with colour gradient control.